How We Can Help You
We represent the Personal Representative or family of the deceased person in settling their loved one’s estate. We can guide you and represent you with the Procedures and Documents required by the Probate Court. At Cofield Law Firm, we can help when an individual has died with a will, and also in situations where an individual has died without having a will.
What is a probate lawyer?
"A probate lawyer is a state licensed attorney who works with the executors and the beneficiaries of an estate to settle the affairs of the decedent. In some instances, probate can be avoided if all the decedent’s assets have been placed in a trust. A trust can ensure a smooth transfer of property outside of court and legal proceedings." (Source)
Here are some examples of common tasks we can assist you with if you're an executor or beneficiary:
- Collecting proceeds from life insurance policies
- Identifying and securing estate assets
- Obtaining appraisals for the decedent’s real property
- Assisting in the payment of bills and debts
- Preparing and filing all documents required by a probate court
- Determining if any estate or inheritance taxes are due, and making sure those debts are satisfied
- Resolving income tax issues
- Managing the estate checking account
- Transferring assets in the decedent’s name to the appropriate beneficiaries
- Making a final disbursement of assets to beneficiaries after all bills and taxes have been paid